Blogs are a good resource for widows, but it’s so good to talk face to face with other widows, and my book Postcards from the Widows' Path provides the perfect opportunity. Over the next several weeks, every Thursday, I'll post each of the five sections of the discussion guide to Postcards.... That way you will always be able to access it right here in the blog whenever you're ready for a group. I think this will be a good solution for my overseas friends like Babs, in England, who's in a widows group the Lord is beginning. This way she won't have to wait for it in the mail.
Maybe you'd like to gather two, three or more widows or others for a time of friendship, support and meaningful conversation too. Meet around your kitchen table, or a casual coffee shop, or your church library---any place that's comfortable and distraction free. You’ll cherish the sacred reflections and find renewed hope as we journey through Ruth. ♥ ferree
Week 3: Working—chapters 11-15 of Postcards...; from Ruth 2:1-23
· What sort of needs did Ruth and Naomi encounter? How are they similar to widows’ needs today?
· How can needs be doorways of opportunity? How would a prayer for kindness and rest, and Ruth's looking for a field in which she'd find favor, apply today?
· How would you have felt if you were waiting, like Ruth, for Boaz to determine your fate?
· Have you personally found your relationship to Christ to be at the "My daughter" level, or is it more impersonal? (page 114).
· Who are the people in your life who play roles similar to Ruth, Naomi and Boaz?
· Which of the roles on a "board of directors" for a widow do you think would be helpful? (page 140)
· How can gratitude truly provide a turning point in a widow's life?
· What are you most afraid of? What sort of help do you need to face that fear?
· What are some practical tips and words of advice you've heard since the funeral?
Conclusion: Take prayer requests and close in prayer. Thank everyone for coming and decide when and where you'll meet next time to talk about section four—Waiting. We'll discuss our experiences and perhaps frustrations of waiting for help, talk about dating and remarriage in today's society, virtue, and what each one might like to look for in a man.
P.S. The best place to order Postcards From The Widows' Path is right here on this blog. Click on the Bookstore tab at the top of the page and you'll find a safe and secure PayPal button. You don't need a PayPal account either. If you prefer to pay by check, please email me with the # of books you want to order and your shipping address. I ship by media mail only and your order will arrive in 2 - 9 days.
For International orders, you must email me first with your country and mailing code so I can send you an invoice which you can securely pay with a credit card.
And finally, if you'd like a free printed copy of the discussion guide, please email me at WCplace@gmail.com