A Prayer for Widows Facing a New Year
1. Please be my shepherd in this year ahead.
You know my needs, so help me learn to follow where you lead.
With you as my shepherd I'll not be in want.
2. You'll make me lie down in green pastures and lead me beside quiet waters.
(Oh, I do hate to sit still, though! Help me to recognize your plan and cooperate with your program, Lord! I see where it says that you'll make me lie down . . . how much easier if I'd only follow your lead!)
3. You'll restore my soul. (How I need that!)
You'll guide me in righteous pathways.
4. Even though I walk through the valley of death,
there's no reason to fear for you are with me.
Your protection and discipline guard me and bring me comfort.
Even when surrounded by enemies who want to steal my peace,
5. you prepare a table full of all that I need.
Your anointing heals me.
My life overflows with your abundance. (Really? Yes! But all I see is loss right now, please help me!)
6. Surely goodness and love will follow me,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Thank you Lord, for your presence and for the place you've prepared for me.